Thursday 10 December 2020

Does anyone know what the Thanet accent was like and a load of pictures mostly Broadstairs and the aliens are getting closer

 

Back in the 1960s we had a guesthouse in August Road and at that time there were still a few older people who had a definite Thanet accent and people who could distinguish people who came from other parts of Kent by their accent. I wonder if anyone else can remember this. "I can tell you come from Herne Bay." I wonder if anyone alive still speaks with the old Thanet accent or can identify it.  

The alien invasion has now reached The Isle of Wight, will The Isle of Thanet be next?


As member of the Australian Flat Earth Society (incognito) I am following events closely


Meanwhile back at the. What? Local history that was it. Most of today's phots are of Broadstairs - Ramsgate Facebook group link visitors may get some Ramsgate photos at the bottom - just now I am having one of those interesting computer issues. Time to disable some sort of accelerator and stop all the stuff that start on startup. Perhaps! If only I had found out the driver update was in the windows optional updates.

next Coronavirus in Thanet, the situation is still very bad compared to most of the rest of the UK
we are third in the UK local authority rankings
Medway, 607.1, (1691), 495.4, (1380)
Swale, 588.3, (883), 554.4, (832)
Thanet, 449.5, (638), 443.9, (630)
Boston, 443.2, (311), 487.4, (342)
Maidstone, 410.3, (705), 321.3, (552)
Basildon, 390.5, (731), 290.6, (544)
Lincoln, 380.7, (378), 354.5, (352)
Gravesham, 376.9, (403), 377.8, (404)
Stoke-on-Trent, 348.7, (894), 356.1, (913) 

These are the most up to date local figures from the UK Gov website From left to right, it reads: name of local authority; rate of new cases in the seven days to December 3; number (in brackets) of new cases recorded in the seven days to December 3; rate of new cases in the seven days to November 26; number (in brackets) of new cases recorded in the seven days to November 26. The Daily Mirror take the figures from the government website and produce a list with the worst figures at the top going down do the best at the bottom. they update this every day at about 5pm just after the gov website updates here is the link 

This later became Albion Bookshop and is now The Chapel pub

these next 9 photos are all from 1904, useful when trying to date old Broadstairs Photos










There have been some interesting posts on Facebook about vaccines and as my desk looks out over the Co-operative funeralcare shop, which usually has about one or two funerals a fortnight but is on its second one today, I though I had better say something.

The number of US and allied military deaths in the Vietnam war was 282,000 the number of US Coronavirus deaths so far is 296,715. Or if you look at civilian deaths, the total UK civilian deaths (mostly the blitz) in WW2 was 70,000 UK coronavirus deaths have already reached 62,566.

There will be some people who have bad reactions to the various vaccines it is even possible that a handful may die.

This Broadstairs map is 1947




Some Ramsgate Harbour pictures next, I am interested to see what the brave new Blogger interface does to the image file sizes when I try a bit of compulsive clicking to expand them.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.