Saturday 5 December 2020

Photos of snow in Ramsgate 10 years ago December 2010, with some thoughts on Kentish Maids and so on

Thanet born and bread? Do you know if you are a Kentish Maid, a Man of Kent, a Maid of Kent or a Kentish Man? I am asking this today because the phrase Essex Girl is going to be removed from the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, which is used to teach foreign language students English, after campaign group The Essex Girls Liberation Front branded it "very offensive". The phrase will stay in the Oxford English Dictionary as a "type of young woman, supposedly found in and around Essex, and variously characterised as unintelligent, promiscuous and materialistic". Does this mean that Kentish Maid and Maid of Kent are on a slippery slope to Person of Kent or Kentish Person?

ten years ago it snowed in early December so all of the photos in this post were taken in Ramsgate during the first week of December 2010
Thanet is sixth in the UK over 60s covid chart today
Note all of this data has a time lag so the figures published today are for last week 640 being the overall Thanet case figures for this period.












































 https://news.sky.com/story/essex-girl-removed-from-dictionary-after-campaigners-claim-term-is-offensive-12151727 will we see maid of Kent and Kentish maid removed from the dictionary

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-55074293

The older people virus traits lag behind the general virus rate ASDA's a differential between older and younger people







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.