Monday 21 November 2022

Royal Victoria Pavilion in Ramsgate and Marine Palace in Margate pictures

 

These two are before the building of the Royal Victoria Pavilion. The 1872 maps says this area is a wood and stone yard. On the the seaward side was a covered colonnade which was destroyed in the 1897 storm.

Going from the motor vehicles this one is probably 1920s or 30s
Once again I think probably 1920s or 1930s


These two above and below are the earliest two of the pavilion in the set.



This is the Marine Palace roughly on the site of what is now Turner Contemporary. Tit-Bits magazine dates from 1881
The marine palace was destroyed by the storm of 1897.
At work here in Michael's Bookshop in Ramsgate I am proof reading a book about Margate Jetty and the Marine Palace which we should have out in the next week or so.


We seemed to be fairly busy this morning despite the bad weather forecast, although I am expecting a quiet afternoon as the storm passes over and the football is on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.