Monday 28 November 2022

Old Thanet Photos, The Ghost Bookshop and another Bakers in Ramsgate

Its been one of those Mondays, yesterday The Observer newspaper which is part of the Guardian newspaper published an article on closed shops which featured a photo of Michael's Bookshop where I work in Ramsgate and of course is very much an open shop.

Difficult for us as our customer base is very broad geographically, so the walk in customers,  phone calls, emails and messages from all over the town, Thanet, county, country and even some from abroad have been coming thick and fast.

I have spent most of the day explaining to people that we are open albeit 4 days a week, that we are not ghosts and so on.

Link to the article  

Link to our opening hours

On to the old Thanet photos

This first set of three, all pretty much the same view from around the same time, note the large fish market next to the clock house 



Someone asked me when the marina lift was built. That is the one that used to go between Nero's or the marina swimming pool and the East cliff


This is Lipton's in Margate in 1905

This is 1911 and shows gentleman being transported to their bathing machines where they would change into Edwardian swimming costumes leaving the bathing machine from the other side into the sea

Note the person maintaining the tram cables


And yes another baker in Ramsgate, I didn't notice it open so it may have been open for some time. I think I've lost count of how many we've got and I don't think Canterbury has got any.


Here where I work in Michael's bookshop Ramsgate it's been a reasonably busy Monday despite the guardian or observer saying we are a ghost shop

In the unlikely event that you are a fan of Billy Bunter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.