Monday, 10 August 2026

Fake history of Thanet and fake historical pictures of Thanet.

I think the first three pictures were once in Ramsgate library and probably destroyed in the fire. All state they were painted by Kennett Beacham Martin and all dated 1821.


The boat in the first picture, left foreground with something like a tent on top, is very similar to ones shown in maritime paintings from the 1500s. I think the background shape of Ramsgate is taken from the print of 1790. The shape of Ramsgate Harbour seems to be based on Lewis's map from the early 1700s. 


In fact the artist made the whole thing up.


The second picture shows what looks like a cog - a type of vessel that was widely used in the middle ages and first appeared in the 10th century. So he made this picture up too.


The third picture seems to be loosely based on the Benjamin West painting of 1788  (sixth picture). The odd thing about this one is that there is no harbour wall, something that certainly there in 1821 so I think we can conclude that he made this one up too.


The fourth picture is a heavily doctored photo of Margate Harbour showing the proposed new Turner Centre. This is a fake picture with a purpose, something we can all understand 


The fifth picture is a totally fake AI generated picture of what is supposed to be Ramsgate town and Harbour in 1723. 


This has been posted by Radford House as an historic discovery found during the renovation of the building. They posted this on Facebook and Instagram and of course it has been reposted as an historic discovery. Note Facebook should flag these picture when it is working ok.



Radford house was bought by Ramsgate town council and the Radford House project is totally funded by Ramsgate town council. That is council tax and various grants and gifts made to the town council.



I guess like everyone else I have been impacted by fake news in recent years but I truly resent being impacted by fake Thanet local history especially when it's paid for on the rates. Here at Michael’s Bookshop in Ramsgate I put a lot of effort into making the Thanet local history I produce accurate



The following is the text that they posted with the picture. (I have written fake across it to try and reduce any reposting of misinformation.) 



“Uncovering the History of Radford House 

Working on a beautiful historic building is a Project Manager's dream. Being part of a project that will create a vibrant community hub, support local groups, budding artists, entrepreneurs, and the wider community, while also preserving the building's rich history, is a real career highlight.

As we've begun renovations, we've uncovered some fascinating items, hidden treasures, and unique building features. Rather than sharing everything at once, we'll be revealing our discoveries over the coming months, alongside the history of 18-20 Effingham Street.

We'd love for you to join us on this journey. Do you have any memories of the building, interesting facts, old photographs, or stories to share? We'd love to hear them!

 Calling all Ramsgate residents, local historians, and curious minds... let's uncover the story of Radford House together.

This Week's Discovery: A View of the Town and Harbour, 1723

Radford House was built between 1715 and 1723. Here is an early view of Ramsgate from 1723. Could one of those buildings be Radford House? We can't say for certain, but it's an exciting place to start.

So, what did Ramsgate look like in 1723?

Take a look at the picture and let us know what stands out to you…”































No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.