Friday, 14 August 2026

Old Photos, new photos Ramsgate eclipse Turner Contemporary

 


Ramsgate around 1953, this is one of a batch of old Ramsgate photos that I bought very recently over the counter here at Michael's Bookshop in Ramsgate. You can just see a bit of the royal Victoria pavilion, upper left of photo confirming that it is Ramsgate. Right of the photo you can see the decorative crown which I believe was part of the coronation in Illuminations so I guess the date is around 1953. At some point during the day I will try and post it to my Thanetonline blog where the photo should expand better. And of course you know that it isn't AI generated or adjusted because you know who I am and where I am.

Eclipse in Ramsgate



Can you still see properly?













Turner Contemporary yesterday
























Broadstairs, quick stop to buy folk week fridge magnet


If you like a little puzzle this photo of Margate was taken in about 1870, before the buildings on the sea side of The High Street and Marine Drive were built, the buildings on the far right are still there.



The other photo is  Marine Palace After Storm 1897.

I am reading the  Michelle Paver series Chronicles of Ancient Darkness

I am listening to the Simone  DeBeauvoir book The Second Sex. I sort of overcame this by a bit of subterfuge that may be useful to you. The book itself and the audiobook are both behind about £20 pay walls however there is a text version on archive, here is the link https://archive.org/stream/1949SimoneDeBeauvoirTheSecondSex/1949_simone-de-beauvoir-the-second-sex_djvu.txt and by downloading @voice aloud reader app it is possible to import the whole book using the URL this is done by tapping on the top left icon in the app.


You then have to scroll down past a load of coding introductions etc to get to the beginning of the book and then the thing will read it aloud to you, keep the place you were at when you close the app so once you've started it by double tapping on the screen you essentially have a free read or listen.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.