Ramsgate fishing fleet. The first picture shows Ramsgate fishing smacks in foreground and what are now where the red brick arches are, in the background. You can easily place yourself because top left of the photo is the tidal ball mast which is still in the same place. I would say the photo was taken in the 1880s or 90s and I have added the same photo with the brightness changed so you can see more detail of the fishing smacks. These fishing smacks mostly had steam engines that were not to drive the boat along but to enable the smacks to be operated by a man and a boy. So the steam engine drove the winch that pulled up the sails. It also provided heat below decks, a smack boy would probably have slept curled up by the steam engine during the winter. Obviously when the fishing smack was in the harbour there would be no heat and this was one of the reasons for the Smack Boys Home. The other photo shows Ramsgate fishing fleet putting out and gives you some idea of the size of the fishing fleet. I was out and about this morning taking photos in Ramsgate, several hundred, as some of the people who can't get out and about in Ramsgate like to follow me on a walk, so here is the link to the pictures https://photos.app.goo.gl/g4fkk7GSoxvBJwYx7
If you followed the link to the hundreds of pictures of Ramsgate that I took this morning then you may want to watch the video about me playing with a retro camera
Afew of the pictures from the link above,.
With Street photography I used to do a lot more but I now concerned about photographing people who don't want to be photographed, so I do a lot less.
The only way that I could take all these photos of Ramsgate was to go out at 6 am this morning when there was hardly anyone about.




No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.