Sunday 13 December 2009

Sunday Ramble.

First thanks to one of my readers who sent me these pictures of the cliff repairs http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/laptop3/id8.htm with the comment that there seems to be a gap between the concrete and the chalk.

He said he had a chat with the chaps down there and they didn’t seem to be that worried about the state of the cliff, he didn’t seem so sure.

The question I am asking is would I like to have an apartment in a building 4 metres from this? I don’t think there is that much I can say about the pictures, apart from are they intending a proper job here or hurriedly covering up the defects? Oh and are they going to knock it down to the bottom of just start building on this bit that seems to have no foundations? Perhaps if they stick it to the chalk cliff with concrete it won't slide down.

Does anyone know when this bit of the cliff façade was built the report says the drawings at TDC http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/tdc/id39.htm says after 1956 the TDC press release http://thanetpress.blogspot.com/2009/12/ramsgate-cliff-face.html says late 1930s?

It looks to me like post was austerity construction, certainly nothing like the quality of Augusta Stairs http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/foi/id13.htm built in 1957.

The Christmas decorations are going up in the bookshop, something my children are doing with a certain amount of festive enthusiasm.

I will ramble on as the day progresses I expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.