Saturday 9 May 2015

Waterfront Bar Harbour Parade Ramsgate Photos

Very good to find it open again after having been closed for about a year subsequent to being the seldom open Jazz Rooms.





This is another incarnation of the Shipwrights Arms which first opened on a different site a bit closer to the Queens Head



I am fairly certain that it was the one on the right of this picture with the two upstairs bay windows.


This bit of Ramsgate pre 1880 is a bit difficult to unscramble now so here is a map from 1872


T&W transferred the licence to the existing building when they closed the old one in the 1890s

2 comments:

  1. Looking at the map, does that mean the entire Custom House was dismantled and moved across the road at some point?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian the answer is sort of, the building on the other side of the road with a dome on top of it like the custom house was the harbour trustee's committee house and was demolished in 1890 the custom house was built in 1893.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.