Monday 14 February 2022

Click on the pictures to expand happy Valentine's Day + ramble

Old Thanet postcards to start with, apart from the first one taken today and I am wondering exactly how Facebook will crop this when I share the blog post to different groups there.
Broadstairs looking East and looking 1930s to me although I'm probably wrong
This one is Newgate gap the donkey stand in 1887
Margate jetty from the air I would think this is probably between the wars
Marine terrace Margate looks 1950s to me
The Royal Sovereign paddle steamer leaving Margate pier I would thinking the early 1960s from the cars
This Ramsgate sands ones looks early 1900s
This Ramsgate harbour one looks about 1900
And note our dozen red roses from Aldi for £3.99
Ramsgate new greengrocer (which has replaced Bartlett and White the greengrocer that closed a few weeks ago)
Opposite Ramsgate's existing greengrocer











Here a newly repainted pub sign for the horse and groom












One of today's pages from my sketchbook this is a pencil and wash. This is drawn with an HB pencil and then washed over with a bit of watercolour. All part of my learning figure drawing anatomy.


As you probably noticed I'm still using blogger and linking the post to my Facebook page and to the local Facebook groups. The main reason I am not posting directly is the blogger handles the pictures so much better and I tried to put things up in the highest definition I can get on the internet so that when you expand a photo you can really get in there are.

We're still on target for reopening the bookshop here in Ramsgate around about Easter. 


With the figure painting and drawing, it is my intention as soon as it's warm enough to get out and paint, to do some paintings of Ramsgate with recognisable people in then.

On the blog text front I'm writing the text for the blog using voice recognition so there are going to be some expected errors.

The voice recognition I am using is the one on the Google keyboard on my Android smartphone. That's the little microphone on the top right of the keyboard.

I guess if I get the time I will go through all the information and correct, but then you know how it is.


Oh yes I forgot I'm intending to write something on the blog everyday about what I'm actually reading so here goes.


I'm about 1/3 into to Maggie Gee's book dying in other words. This is her first book, and it's what I would loosely describe surrealist fiction. Something along the lines of if you like looking at the pictures of Salvador


Dali then you are are likely to enjoy surrealist fiction.

I enjoy surreal fiction, and I'm enjoying this one a lot, there are too few female surrealists in every field, perhaps magic relist is closer, and I guess this novel is a bit Andrea Kowch.

From my point of view as a man it's viewing the world from the female point of view that adds to my enjoyment.

The book is essentially about a woman reviewing aspects of her own death, it is postmodernist literary fiction, so not a lightweight read.

Non-fiction wise I got Eye Rhymes, Sylvia Plath's art of the Visual, for valentine's Day.



I'm a great admirer of Sylvia Plath so I'll let you know how this goes too



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.