Thursday 24 February 2022

Click to enlarge pictures for the dating game, bit of a ramble

Can you date any of these Thanet postcards? I've given them numbers where there's been anything useful on the back, I've given the back of the card the same number.


1


2


2


3


4


4


5


6


7

The pictures should expand to really quite a large size and that should help with the dating too.


I was out and about yesterday


I'm trying to learn how to take telephoto macro pictures. As you see the distance in focus is very narrow something photographers called the depth of field.

The springblooms are Canterbury.


I'm painting a watercolor sketch mouse mornings before I get up, here are the last two.

After Balthus and Tenniel watercolour



After lady Godiva painted by John collier in 1898.

Coventry the destruction of the cathedral, the aftermath of the second world war amongst the adults surrounding me, being sent to Coventry, lady Godiva, the newly constructed M1 motorway, going to Coventry to see the new cathedral. This is all tangled in my childhood memories with the painting that I have based today's watercolour on. Comments critical aesthetic and technical are welcome, so what do you think? If you can see the gold in the photos, it's gold watercolour, I think it must have particles of some sort of metal in it probably Ronnie Barker's gold. Perhaps i should call it Don't Stop Me Now.

The Canterbury mission apart from buying a few books for the bookshop which hopefully will be open at Easter, what about buying some expensive coloured pencils.
The art shop in Canterbury now the only one left is Chromos, it's mostly staffed by art students and they're pretty good about you trying stuff out.
Faber Castell polychromos colouring pencils are about £2 each and I wound up buying 10 not many pencils for £20. I also tried out permanent rose watercolor it was a bit too strong for me and I got a bit red.
Anyway I managed to match some of the colours that I have in watercolour in ordinary colouring pencils which is very useful for making visual notes and my sketchbook when I haven't got time too open up my watercolour palette


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.