Tuesday 15 February 2022

Click on the picture and see the problem

I have just finished work, with the bookshop closed this means working on the building installing a better ventilation.

I'm afraid it's too horrible to go out and take any photos. So old Thanet photos that seems to be fairly high definition but lack any description in the computer.

This pre-war aerial shot of Ramsgate seems to have had a problem in the dark room with another photo so the two have been merged producing the sort of local history conundrum that could take hours of wasted time not to solve.

One of the marina pool date unknown

I'm adding David Fagg's thoughts here

"I remember going on the paddle boats in the 'Boating Pool' (pic 2), attached to the Marina Pool, back in the late '50s. I seem to recall it being drained and becoming the 'Sun Trap' in the '60s.

It looks as though pic 4 has been taken from Westbrook Bay. The fact that Trinity Church Tower is still standing, then it must have been taken in the late 40s-50s, knowing that the church tower was demolished in '58"

This is where a Nero's nightclub in Ramsgate used to be

This one is too small in the editor to identify
I think this is somewhere towards Minnis Bay judging from the cars late 40s or early 50s
Of course cliff erosion makes it very difficult to identify exactly where in Thanet this was probably somewhere near the North Foreland


I think this next lot date from about 10 years ago and all appear to be Ramsgate.













With the bookshop the main opening problem to make it reasonably coronavirus safe is that it consists mostly of narrow passageways walled by bookshelves so we have to get blown air ventilation into them.

To be honest I have my work cut out to make the opening at Easter deadline.

Today's painting is based on the Salvador Dali watercolor near the bottom of yesterday's post. It's called guardian angel of the Cadaquès painted by Salvador Dali in 1943.

This is what I produced this morning drawn entirely freehand in watercolour

This type of thing emerges from the paper on its own if you can manage to sort of get out of your own way
I am still reading Maggie Gee's book Dying in Other Words, this means that I'm in the surrealist world hence copying Salvador Dali.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.