Thursday 17 February 2022

Click to big, Another Quiz, lots of Thanet pictures, yesterday's answer



Ramsgate main sands and railway station this photo was taken in the 1890s note the taller tower on the Granville, the height was reduced in about 1900 so it's useful for dating postcards of the seafront. The structure on the left of the photo was the colonnade this was washed away in the Great storm of 1897 leading to the construction of the royal Victoria pavilion now wetherspoons.

First competition photo do you know what this building is

The second competition photo is one where I don't know the answer. This is a zoom photo that I took today from Joss bay car park looking towards Kingsgate castle. It's wrong side of Kingsgate castle to be Neptune's tower does anyone know what it is, I don't but we may find out in the comments on the various Facebook groups that this post will be linked to.

I got the right answer from David Carr
That was called "Maiden's Tower" - one of the many folly towers 


Maiden's Tower, Neptune's Tower in the distance...








This is the photo taken from the same spot in Joss Bay car park without using the zoom.

Next bit of an apology from me for not blogging for so long. Nearly 3000 people read yesterday's post and I can see see that I have a bit of a civic duty to try and keep up doing regular blog posts.

We were not working on getting the bookshop ready to reopen at Easter but as you see out and about in wider Thanet





I think this is about as much as I can get out of my Salvador Dali
I will change to painting something else in bed tomorrow morning before I get up.
Yesterday's answers 1 Ramsgate model village 2 Tenfold Farm.

5 comments:

  1. We miss your blogs - please keep them going!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to have been of some use regarding Maiden's Tower, Kingsgate. I did make it my business to "check into" the various folly towers in the Kingsgate area and it's a pity that so many have been demolished and so few remain. As a professional photographer (retired) I just wish I'd had the opportunity to record them all before their demise. Best wishes. D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got quite a few old prints of them and I think we could produce a booklet

      Delete
    2. Michael - I'd be glad to help in any way I can. ;-)

      Delete
    3. I think the easiest approach is if you assemble as much as you can on the local towers, I have put up quite a bit on the blog over the years which you can use, we take it forward as a publication with you as the author. Our normal terms are you get 10% royalty on what we print and copies of your own book less 40%, and obviously free use of any material I can come up with.

      Delete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.