Wednesday 31 July 2024

Click to expand some old Thanet pictures

 

These two pictures were together so I am assuming the launch of the same Ramsgate lifeboat, unfortunately not clear enough to read the name but after 1903/4 as you can see the pavilion in one of them.

update
Michael Cates
Top contributor
The Lifeboat was Charles and Susanna Stephens, the occasion her official launch and dedication on 25th May 1905.

This next group are of the building of the Military Road arches so late 1890s



As these were with the ones above they may be some sort of opening ceremony for the opening of work on the arches  

All of that lot were from the Tom Stokes collection 

And all the rest come from the Mick Twyman collection but are not labelled but probably Margate or near Margate


Fairey presumed G-EAAJ from the book Wings over Westgate by Geoffrey Williams, which we have in stock

I am assuming this is Margate. In 1859 the Volunteer movement started up in Britain and General Peel agreed to accept the services of such men who would ask for no pay and fight when needed. To everyone's astonishment an armed force of over one hundred thousand men was enrolled within a short time, having as their motto "Defence not Defiance"

Interesting Broadstairs one as it is dated published Feb 1st 1796 so must have been before then





Garlinge Damaged Barn 

Here at Michaels Bookshop in Ramsgate I am slowly working towards getting some of these pictures into book form.

I had a lot of problems posting the picture link to local Facebook Groups on Monday and for a while it looked as though I was going to banned from posting to groups. I am still banned from the We Love Old Ramsgate Group, but whether this is to do with the groups administrators I don't know. 

I do often link to the books that we have just put out at Michaels Bookshop in Ramsgate but then I assume from feedback and from the amount of local history books we put out that this is also something local people want to know.   

Anyway any ideas on this one would be helpful as there is a possibility I may have to give up posting to local Facebook groups, or just post one picture at a time something I don't think I would have the time to do. 

Another warm and sunny day here in Ramsgate. Michaels Bookshop has been fairly busy this morning with definate signs of people visiting because they are on holiday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.