Monday 8 July 2024

Click to expand pictures of Ramsgate Margate and Broadstairs

 Granville Theatre Ramsgate opened 21 June 1947.Wiki article link


An unknown steam, tug I think, on the slipway in Ramsgate Harbour, obviously before WW2 as the two slipways related to HMS Fervent haven't been built. The picture expands well with a bit of clciking but I can't quite read the name, can anyone?

Tug now identified as Hibernia link to more info

 

HIBERNIA (2)

 

 

Built 1884 by Maatschappij de Maas, Delfshavn, Holland. YN58. Iron Screw Tug. L121'. B22.1'. D12.9'. 219grt. 825ihp 120nhp 2cyl 28"x47"x24" stroke compound steam engine by builder. Boiler fired from foreside with bunkers forward of bridge. Acquired 1884. Disposed 13-4-1961. Scrapped 1961. Official No. 89622. Call sign JPWG later MGSR.

 

1884 Delivered to William Watkins, London. 12-12-1888 Departed Madeira towing disabled liner Tartar for Southampton. 20-12-1888 Arrived Southampton. 1895 Boiler ex Columbia fitted. 10-12-1896 Arrived Gravesend ex Bremerhaven. 22-12-1895 Assisted refloating German SS Spree aground Warden Ledge, Totland Bay. 1900 Transferred to William Jr. & John S. Watkins, London. 24-3-1900 Coaling at Falmouth. 1905 Repairs by Eltringhams and then to Belfast for new boiler. 2-8-1914 Req by RN, renamed HMS Carcass. Served with Downs Patrol, based Dover and Ramsgate. Served at Gallipoli, taking part in the second Suvla landing, and one of the last vessels to leave Anzac Cove during the withdrawal, and in Persian Gulf. 1915 renamed HMS Hibernia III. 1917 Owners restyled William Watkins Ltd. 10-10-1919 Returned to Watkins renamed Hibernia. Refitted at Grimsby £7000. 22-9-1922 Shortened by cutting 15' off bow to L107' by Claxtons, Ramsgate. 5-1940 Worked out of Ramsgate during Dunkirk evacuation under Skipper B Youseman. Worked on Thames throughout WW2. 1950 Ship Towage (London) Ltd, appointed as managers. 13-4-1961 Arrived at T W Ward Ltd., Grays, Essex, for scrapping. On arrival Captain Bert Youseman, aged 69, her skipper since February 1927, was presented with the tugs bell as a memento.



This bathing station was at the eastern undercliff where the marina swimming pool was built, now a car park.

Ramsgate harbour around 1900, a lot of fishing smacks in the inner basin 
Second Ave. Hotel Margate

With this Margate one I was caught out and thought I was in Broadstairs 

This is the Old Prince Albert Inn in Broadstairs High Street it was rebuilt in 1912 in the mock Tudor style. Pub history link
This is Broadstairs in 1904 

On to today's ramble.

I am trying to get used to who's who in the new cabinet so I have started sketching them. This is partly because I am very bed at names and faces and partly because of the way I draw likenesses and caricatures requires drawing the same person several times. 

Pencil drawing of Keir Starmer 
I started with a freehand pencil sketch of the new prime minister Kier Starmer   

Pencil and wash drawing of Keir Starmer
I then went over it with watercolour which fixes the pencil and stops it from smudging in my sketchbook. His middle name is Rodney and having drawn him I am already beginning to think of him as Rodney.

I had been using Google's AI Gemini app on my phone, but having asked it. 'What colour are Keir Starmer's eyes?' And finding it didn't know I have started using the ChatGPT app on my phone which did know and seems to be slightly better.

From the Ramsgate retailers point of view the change of government seems to have had a slightly positive impact, sales of books here at Michaels bookshop in Ramsgate were slightly better on Friday and Saturday than the previous few Fridays and Saturdays.  

Angela Rayner pencil drawing
I then went on to draw Angela Rayner the new deputy prime minister. The references I am using for the cabinet members come from the BBC article 


Quite a  few Thanet local history ones as you see, which is encouraging.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.