Wednesday 10 July 2024

Click to expand pictures of Ramsgate, Pegwell, Margate, Broadstairs and Sarre mills

  Starting with Ramsgate 

I should say that I have cheated a bit with this post and added some more pictures to a previous post of mine.

This first lot are Grange Road Mill








Looking on the 1822 Ramsgate map you can see there were once 3 mills where Grange Road is now


Hudson's Mill, the original Pugin designed shape 
which as you can see from the photo was extended upwards and towards you to make a bigger one


Pegwell you can see the mill top left of the photo, this is the only photo of this mill I know of although it appears in several local prints

Broadstairs next




St Peter's Mill



then on to Margate













Hoopers mill at Zion Place 


Then to Sarre Mill, the photos I took some time ago have become a record of this mill which looks to be in a pretty bad way now, but is still just about standing.
















A quick ramble now 
Keir Starmer pen sketch

First another attempt at drawing the new prime minister Keir Starmer I think this is a bit better than the last one, I am hoping eventually to get the economy of line down to the point where I can do a caricature of him. 

Getting a likeness with portraits is one of the most difficult aspects of drawing and I find drawing the same person several times helps.

Here at Michaels Bookshop where I work in Ramsgate the impact of the recent election still seems to be positive with book sales steady and if anything a little bit up on before the election. Fiction and Kent local history are leading the way. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.