Monday 29 July 2024

Click to enlarge, Margate in The Boer War, 1736 Map of Ramsgate, Broadstairs Lifeboat around 1900

These four Margate photos are all titled The Boer War, either the first Boer war 1880 to 1881 the second Boer war i.e. 1899 to 1902, does anyone know which? 




This is the oldest street map of Ramsgate and is taken from the book The History and Antiquities as well Ecclesiastical as Civil of the Isle of Tenet, in Kent The Second Edition, With Additions by John Lewis

It should expand enough to read. You will notice that none of the streets have the same names as they do now. Here at Michaels Bookshop where I work in King Street, at that time King Street was called North End with Queen Street called South end Harbour Street East End and The High Street called Westminster with the top of it called West End. 


Next this picture as you see it is captioned Queen Street Ramsgate and I had though it was looking up Cliff Street, but now I don't think it is, can anyone identify where it was?

If it's wrong I can get the caption off using AI

I have tried enhancing it but it won't go far enough to read the sign on the window.
The Francis Forbes Barton Lifeboat served at Broadstairs from 1897 to 1912 here is the link to the RNLI article  and I think this was the one that is in a bad state in Ramsgate.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.