Wednesday 19 November 2008

Film in the news

I have just been looking at the various local blogs and newspapers, the links are all on the sidebar, one rather worrying story is that The Granville Theatre and Cinema is in financial trouble.

It would seem that while Margate has two theatres heavily subsidised by the council, the council wont even let Ramsgate’s only remaining theatre have the rent relief it needs to survive.

Thanet Star reports that the film Thanet Under Threat is on youtube, it’s evidently been there for quite some time but has only had 240 views, so I imagine it needs a bit more publicity. It contains some fantastic archive footage of holidaymakers in Thanet so is well worth watching regardless of you views about property development in Thanet.



Finally having seen today in the paper that Kent County Council are considering spending another £400,000 of our money on its Kent TV site, where presumably the most important aspect of this site is to show local democracy in action, I was pretty amazed to hear from Thanet District Council that although Kent TV would host video footage from members of the public for nothing, they would charge Thanet District Council to host videos of their council meetings.

So here in Thanet having paid dearly for a government run video website, some of the local video footage we would most like to see isn’t there.

3 comments:

  1. Having been sent a copy on dvd of the Extraordinary Council Meeting on October 9th I don't blame Kent tv for not showing TDC videos of council meetings. At one point the camera is pointing at the ceiling and at several points the Chairman looks puzzled when it would seem a councillor is speaking but there is no sound of what is being said nor a picture of who is speaking.

    As evidence of what was said since there are no transcripts it's a poor record of a very important meeting determining the future of Thanet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 16.00 Perhaps you should put on youtube to give us all a flavour of what we are going to get when the finally sort their act out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting comment has appeared on the Isle of Thanet Gazette’s website in response to their article about the Granville Theatres financial problems. “PLEASE BEWARE THIS ARTICLE - it is inaccurate and may be the subject of legal proceedings. Fosters Law, Herne Bay and Broadstairs”

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.