Saturday 20 April 2013

Four old prints of Ramsgate’s Eastcliff

 This first one is after 1860 as the Ramsgate Sands Railway Station can be seen. 




Update I have now pinned this print down exactly, it was commissioned for the book I publish: Delineations Historical and Topographical of the Isle of Thanet and the Cinque Ports by Edward Wedlake Brayley, http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/catalogue/delineations_historical_and_topographical_of_the_isle_of_thanet_and_the_cinque_p.htm the plate for the print was engraved by William Deeble in 1817 and was taken from a drawing by HENRY G. GASTINEAU (1791-1876) who was a topographer and landscape artist. He trained as an engraver and then studied at the Royal Academy Schools, after which he travelled extensively in Great Britain painting the scenery as he went. He was elected Associate to the Old Watercolour Society (AOWS) in 1821 and became a full member (OWS) in 1823. From 1827, Gastineau worked in Camberwell as a drawing master, where he died on January 17th 1876. 
 
 The square towers on the left are the outbuildings to Eastcliff Lodge, these are still there and the Italianate greenhouse is built against them. the pointed towers on the right of the print are those of Eastcliff Lodge itself. This once stood in King George VI Park, obviously it was bought by the council and demolished.  



I have added a picture of Eastcliff Lodge by JMW Turner for clarification. As far as dating the print goes Eastcliff Lodge first appears as occupied in 1803 as a summer residence of Queen Caroline, so it was probably built around 1800. 


 This next one is before 1842 when the current lighthouse was built, the old one shown in the print was too near the end and tended to knock the spars off ships entering the harbour.
Obviously it as after 1817 when The Clock House was built by Benjamen Wyatt and George Louch.
Once again after 1860, I will add to the historical notes as aspects occur to me.

Many thanks to Ben – local antiquary, author of The Story of the Granville Hotel Ramsgate 1869-2012 (see http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/catalogue/the_granville_hotel___the_story_of_the_granville_hotel_ramsgate_1869_2012.htm ) and sometime author of various historical articles in local periodicals – for sending me the prints and for enhancing the image files. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.