Wednesday 31 May 2017

Thanet South Labour and Conservative hopefuls on Manston. , plus out and about photos in Ramsgate.


This photo is of the restoration of St George’s Church tower Ramsgate in 1907, which when they put the letters around the top.


I took this next photo from my bookshop this morning and put it on FaceBook asking what the letters spelt out, I suppose I knew at one time, anyway I took one from the High Street and one from Chatham Street during my lunch hour today



My take on the general election is that Thanet North will return Roger Gale again, pretty much regardless of anything.

I think since the boundary changes Thanet South is probably a safe Conservative seat, I am not expecting much of a UKIP vote as I think most of the UKIP voters were probably Ramsgate voters, who now see coming out of Europe as “job done” so I am expecting it to be a two horse race.

As we build up to the election I suppose my view may change, but as a start I thought I would try to get the two most likely candidates views on Manston.

So Labour first

MAY 19TH, 3:52PM
Hi Raushan, I don’t seem to have and can’t find your email address so am sending this by messenger my email id michaelchild@aol.com As I guess you know I write the thanetonline blog, live and have a business in your prospective constituency. I am a floating voter and come the election will be looking for the best constituency MP for Thanet.

The point of this message is to get your position over Manston Airport, cpo, DCO, Stonehill Park plans, particularly with regard to an airfreight hub and the recent findings related to particulate pollution, which led to the government looking at a diesel scrappage scheme.

A 747 type freight plane burns a tonne of fuel for each ground movement and the viable threshold for a freight hub seems to be 10,000 movements a year, which means 10,000 tonnes of jet fuel burnt upwind of Ramsgate and Broadstairs.

All the up to date information seems to be saying that this would reduce the life expectancy of thousands of people in both towns, i.e kill them. The leading work on this at the moment is being done at LAX, Los Angeles Airport and I guess you appreciate that LA is already very polluted.

The best information is that every doubling of particulate pollution increases the risk of lung cancer by 37%, there are lots of other diseases involved, but easier to grapple with using just one. LA has the same prevailing wind direction as Thanet so the attached map is easy to follow.

Please note I aim to write to all of the candidates about this and other issues if I get the time and will be publishing any correspondence on my blog.
MAY 19TH, 10:11PM

Thank you for your message, I am getting lots of questions regarding the future of Manston.  Unlike Tories STLP do not believe that re-opening the Airport in any shape or form is viable. Regarding future development of mixed use until specific proposals are actually on the table I do not feel I can comment but as a resident as well as the mother of a special needs son I would insist on a full and open consultation with all parties. Sorry I can not be more specific but I don't want to make any promises that I may not be able to deliver.  Best wishes.
Raushan.
Sent from Messenger

Next Conservative

-----Original Message-----
From: michaelchild
To: Craig
Sent: Fri, 19 May 2017 15:37
Subject: Manston


Hi Craig, as I guess you know I write the thanetonline blog, live and have a business in your constituency. I am a floating voter and come the election will be looking for the best constituency MP for Thanet.

The point of this email is to get an update on your position over Manston Airport, cpo, DCO, Stonehill Park plans, particularly with regard to an airfreight hub and the recent findings related to particulate pollution, which led to the government looking at a diesel scrappage scheme.

A 747 type freight plane burns a tonne of fuel for each ground movement and the viable threshold for a freight hub seems to be 10,000 movements a year, which means 10,000 tonnes of jet fuel burnt upwind of Ramsgate and Broadstairs.

All the up to date information seems to be saying that this would reduce the life expectancy of thousands of people in both towns, i.e kill them. The leading work on this at the moment is being done at LAX, Los Angeles Airport and I guess you appreciate that LA is already very polluted.

The best information is that every doubling of particulate pollution increases the risk of lung cancer by 37%, there are lots of other diseases involved, but easier to grapple with using just one. LA has the same prevailing wind direction as Thanet so the attached map is easy to follow.

Please note I aim to write to all of the candidates about this and other issues if I get the time andwill be publishing any correspondence on my blog. 
Best regards Michael

I didn’t get any reply from Craig so I put this on his Facebook page

Michael Child Hi Craig I emailed you for an update on your position re Manston and can't find a reply, probably an itc fail somewhere along the line. Could you kindly check you got my email
LikeShow more reactions · Reply · May 28 at 5:56pm

I also tweeted him to no avail.

Perhaps he isn’t interested in the Manston issue anymore, does anyone know?

Here are the links to the out and about photos.




1 comment:

  1. For Craig's thoughts on Manston, watch at 2 mins 50 seconds in.
    More information on You Tube. Search Manston Airport BBQ. https://youtu.be/0e6H5hN9Huo

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.