Saturday 6 May 2017

All pictures today of The Sailing Ship Bounty in Ramsgate Harbour

This was an iron hulled barquentine rigged (three masts, square sails at the front and triangular ones at the back) sailing ship built in Sunderland in 1875.

She made at least two voyages to Auckland in the 1870s was dismasted in a hurricane in the 1880s sailed to New Zealand in the 1890s.

Had some sort of life in Finland and Norway in the early 1900s

Converted into a floating restaurant which operated in Ramsgate from 1946 to about 1951

She was broken up in 1952


Do feel free to add info in the comments as my info could well be partially wrong. 196 feet long and weighing in 800 ton ball park








I've been doing more painting in the cathedral, a bit spot the difference, but here it is
  

3 comments:

  1. The Bounty in Ramsgate harbour was a barque ie square rigged on the fore and main masts with fore and aft sails on the mizzen mast, a barquentine is square rigged only on the fore mast with fore and aft sails on the main and mizzen masts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve been asking around for years about the old sailing ship more in Ramsgate harbour. I remember as a very small child travelling and arriving by steam train, my face was blackened with soot and ash from the engine, it was cleaned by my mother in the usual 1948 manner, ‘spit on a handkerchief and vigorously rubbed’. It was I think my first holiday after the war, my widowed mother must have saved every penny to get us there !! Strange how images stay in your memory, I seem to recall there was some children’s entertainment onboard th Bounty, happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents brought my brother and I to Ramsgate for a holiday as small children. That boat looked very grand with lights and fluttering flags. My parents would go on board and have a drink in the evenings. It was amazing and very impressive to a four year old!

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.