Saturday 20 May 2017

No Toast at Turner Contemporary, watercolour paining in Margate, lunch in Morgan's and the gallery with the amazing art in glass and the silver castings of insects.

I decided to go off to Margate and paint today, this decision mainly based on the weather being a bit uncertain, the Pilgrim's Hospice Bookshop having run out of the leaflet I produce about Margate history and the bookshops in Thanet.

The weather thing is difficult if you want to paint, because so few cafés have a paintable view. Turner Contemporary Café has had a change of menu which makes it much less attractive to me for painting.

I have got the cuppa sorted there, I just ask them to take the mechanism out of a tea pot put a couple of bags of PG in it and add hot water. This works in almost every place I go to as the staff drink an ordinary named make of tea.

I should stress here that this is 10am and the alternatives are English Breakfast, Darjeeling, Earl Grey, Assam, Green Tea, Lapsang Souchong, Lemon, honey and crushed ginger tea Fresh mint tea Hibiscus and red berry tea.

Coffee makes me too excited and for me anything perfumed goes where the sun don’t shine. Turner Contemporary’s café website https://view.officeapps.live.com/op/view.aspx?src=https://www.turnercontemporary.org/media/documents/TC%20cafe%20Winter%202016%20menu%20A5%20for%20table%20talkers.docx promises a bacon sarni, unfortunately they don’t do a bacon sarni.

The next option was Turner Hash this is, flightless bird embryos, minced organs in intestine skins, slices of hog flesh and boiled and fried roots or, as it is known in Margate patois, sos, egg, bacon and chips, the don’t do Turner Hash anymore.

Getting a bit desperate I said what about toast and marmalade, the answer, “we don’t do toast” defeated me.

I went without breakfast and painted for about an hour and a half on a pot of tea, they did have some food on display and while a few people came in and had a drink I didn’t see anyone else eat anything. The pictures are of their breakfast offering.



 I went off and delivered my leaflets, nattered to Garry who runs Hooked on Books bookshop in The High Street, decided I couldn’t face lunch menu changes at Turner Contemporary, what ever they may be and looked around for alternatives with a view. 

The weather being just about good enough to paint outside I tried Morgan’s which proved to be very good both in terms of value and quality, pot of tea, ham and mustard wrap £6.20.



I did do a sketch from the balcony of Morgan's 

A quick watercolour sketch of The Sands Hotel Margate form Morgan's balcony.

On to the gallery with the amazing glass and the tiny silver castings of insects, I forgot what this is called when I came to write the blog just now, didn’t know what to put into google and resorted to finding my previous blog post


http://thanetonline.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/out-and-about-with-me-in-margate-and.html elecTic Art is well worth the journey to Margate for alone, and I strongly recommend you do go and visit it.

Blown glass and cast insects aren’t easy to photograph and my mobile phone is a cheap one, I did my best but the pictures really don’t do these artworks justice.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.