Thursday 16 April 2020

Two more Thanet pubs to identify, on Margate one Ramsgate, yesterday's answers and the rest of it.

 Q 1 which Thanet pub

 Q 2 which Thanet pub

 An early 1800s print of Ramsgate showing the old lighthouse on the site where the echo is now

Broadstairs in 1988

Well I suppose I should do another piece of speech recognition into written text, but I'm not really certain of what I say.

I'm disinclined to dwell on the current pandemic, on the other hand and there's not really a lot going on at the moment apart from that. My wife and I are engaged in DIY and decorating around house, but then of course not that interesting to everyone else.

I really can't think that many people would want to look at photos of my attempts at carpentry, or to look at newly painted pieces of wall.

At the moment I am rereading Haruki Murakami the first one I read the other day was a bit end of the world, the title of this is Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, so I should have guessed really Android it. Fortunately I was focused on unicorns and it's a very good novel so things didn't go to badly. something I learnt last time I read all of the Haruki Murakami and then tried to finish off by reading all of the stories, was that when Haruki Murakami wrote then he would write a novel followed by a couple of short stories.

So this time I'm I read a novel and intended to read two short stories I only read one it was enough and now I'm reading Kafka on the shore.

It's a wonderful magic realist read, a novel the first order and frankly I could go on reading and rereading the thing indefinitely or at least that’s how I feel just now. With fiction I'm particularly interested in the thing that's called magic realism which to my mind is exploring the boundary between fantasy and reality.

I think the first major magic realest novel I read was John Fowles Magus. It’s fascinating genre and for someone with an interest in the nature of reality and how science impacts on this, particularly in terms of quantum mechanics and how tenuous our understanding of reality is in any sense, one worth exploring.

Yesterday's answers

 Coach and Horses High St Ramsgate I htink in the late 1950s

Royal Oak. Margate High St 1967


next some filler photos before the pandemic stats, so don't scroll down if you came here to escape it

these are from Feb 2011, they will all expand if you click on them, but camera cards with a fast DSLR can be a bit repetitive


















































No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.