Thursday 26 March 2009

UNIQUE COASTAL PLAY AREA COMES TO CLIFTONVILLE

Thanet's historic Viking connections will be celebrated with the opening of a one of a kind coastal play area in Cliftonville next week (Thursday 2 April).

Situated on the cliff top green along Ethelbert Crescent, the play area features timber equipment with a large unique Viking play ship, thought to be the only one in England, which boasts panoramic views out to sea.

Aimed at children up to the age of 14 years old, it also features a giant balancing snake in the grass, maze, double width slide, hard carved Viking figure roundabout, sand play area, King’s throne and basket swing.

Funded by £240,000 from the Margate Renewal Partnership and Safer Stronger Communities Fund, the project has been undertaken by Thanet District Council’s leisure services and regeneration teams and is the first dedicated play area in Cliftonville West.

Cllr. Shirley Tomlinson, Cabinet Member for Environmental Services, said: “This promises to be a wonderful adventure for young Vikings, providing hours of active play in a wonderfully designed and landscaped setting. It celebrates our historic links with the Vikings and that’s especially appropriate as it’s now 60 years since the Hugin Viking replica ship arrived on the beach in Broadstairs. I’m sure children are going to love this area and, in particular, I can see Viking ship being a huge attraction, especially as we think it’s the only one of its kind in the country. I have no doubt that this will be well used, especially over the upcoming Easter holidays, and hopefully it will be well looked after by everyone.”

The play area will be open to children from Friday 3 April, in time for the Easter school holidays.

4 comments:

  1. When is ramsgate getting one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know my granchildren are looking forward to it opening it looks great

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids can't wait, we've passed it every Saturday since they started building it....

    ReplyDelete
  4. seeing as you were so pedantic about my spelling on another blog planespotter-you have baby goats do you?
    But yes this is great news for the children of cliftonville

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.