Saturday 28 March 2009

An Open Letter from David Cameron

Laura Sandys press release

believe this week has marked a defining moment in this economic crisis. For Mervyn King, the Governor of the Bank of England, to come out and say Gordon Brown is wrong to be pursuing a second fiscal stimulus - because the country simply cannot afford it - is an exceptional turn of events. Gordon Brown harangued us for being isolated when we repeatedly said the country could not afford this extra debt. Now it turns out we were right.

I kicked off the week by replying to Gordon Brown's statement on Europe - which brings me on to Dan Hannan's brilliant response



to Gordon Brown in the European Parliament. It was so effective and shows the growing power of the internet over TV.

On Tuesday I was at the London Stock Exchange to make the point that the Conservative Party will be the party of law and order in the City. I then completed my 26th Cameron Direct in Milton Keynes, and the 27th in Fleetwood, Lancashire. I love doing these events: they are an essential reminder that what goes on in the Westminster bubble is rarely what is on the minds of ordinary people.

Getting out of Westminster has been a key theme to the week. Gordon Brown's approach to this may be getting on a plane and heading for Chile - but mine is to send the Shadow Cabinet round the country to launch our petition calling on Gordon Brown to implement our tax cut for savers and pensioners.

Have a good weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.