Wednesday 2 April 2014

Manston takeover offer withdrawn.

My understanding is that this information comes from a staff briefing this morning.  I will add more information as it becomes available at the moment all I have is that the consortium promoted by Sir Roger 
Gale have given no reason for withdrawing their offer. 

There isn’t anything on any of the news sites yet but I will add the links when and if the news becomes available.
The picture is from the book I publish about the early days of commercial flights from Manston, “Twilight of the Pistons” here is the link to it, sample pages and how to buy it online if you are interested http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/catalogue/1997_twilight_of_pistons.htm 


Update; Here are the promised links to the news items:


http://www.thanetgazette.co.uk/Manston-Airport-offer-withdrawn/story-20898633-detail/story.html  


The gist of all the emerging news items is:

Ann Gloag’s representative confirmed this morning (Wednesday) that the bid for the airport submitted by the consortium last Thursday afternoon has been withdrawn.

Essentially the airport closure staff consultation continues. 


My own take on the airport remains that while I support a regional airport with definite future parameters on the extent of the number of flights and a reasonable understanding of both the economic benefits to the area, the noise and other pollution factors I have never been supportive of the airport running as it has recently with no environmental permit and considerable uncertainty about the extent of future activity there.

The whole business of regulating the airport with a S106 agreement rather than the normal situation, which would be a planning consent with an associated public enquiry combined with various operators failure to comply with the environment agency’s basic water pollution regulations, should have been seen as a temporary and short term measure.

Having uncertainty over the number of flights per day over Ramsgate for a long period of time has definitely had a considerable down side and I guess now the only solution is to look toward the benefits trying to be supportive of development there.

I also think that the aviation activates at Manston which hold long leases need to look towards securing a joint future particularly in terms of consolidating those parts of the site that they potentially will hold for a considerable time.      

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope my information is accurate anon, my Manston sources are pretty jumpy at the moment.

      Delete
  2. No wonder you're running a junk shop if you thought there ever was a Gale consortium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better running a junk shop than watching your wife struggling to run a restaurant while you sit on your fat making fool comments on blog sites.

      Delete
  3. Dont worry if its not correct im sure she has always had plans for manston its no surprise that 3 large company's have showed an interest in Ramsgate in a short time
    thanks anyway its so hard to find out about whats happening

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those three companies clearly know nothing about our future mayor, Tim.

      Delete
    2. what 3 companies would that be then anon10.44

      Delete
  4. The story is now being carried on the Isle of Thanet Gazete site, with confirmation from the Thanet North MP that the offer has been withdrawn. Interesting to see what happens next and if any explanation emerges about the reasons for the withdrawal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's all this about sand blowing from Manston and polluting the Sahara? Time for change.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.