Thursday 27 May 2010

Pictures of The Dunkirk Little Ships Leaving Ramsgate 27th May 2010

About 300 pictures of the little ships leaving Ramsgate this morning, it was a bit wet but at least the sea was calm for them.

Click on the links below for the pictures, they are publishing to the internet as I write, about 10 am so I would imagine it will be a couple of hours before all of them are visible.

http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/510b/id19.htm

http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/510b/id20.htm

http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/510b/id21.htm

I never really know which pictures to delete so once again they are all there, so I suppose you can make your own minds up about what you don’t want to look at.

Here are some of five years ago http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/done/id7.htm sorry they are pretty dreadful, the moral here is don’t by a camera without an optical viewfinder if you wear reading glasses.

Sundowner didn’t go but I am told that they have the anodes and would be happy to put them on and go at any time if only they could get permission from the East Kent Maritime Trust.

Sad really as Hitler couldn’t stop her from going, the whole situation begs some very serious questions about Ramsgate’s maritime heritage.

Much of the problem is about getting the people in charge of the harbour and the various projects there to realise that it is only by having a combination of a commercial marina, leisure and maritime businesses combined with a strong and visible local and marine historical presence that a sensible way forward can be found for the harbour.

Proper management of the museum and historical vessels, concessionary fees and rentals to things that enhance the historic atmosphere not only attracts tourism but also much needed grant funding.

2 comments:

  1. proper management and TDC in the same posting is surely a contradiction in terms.
    It was a good job tdc weren't involved in the original evacuation, they would have probably turned up with one canoe without a paddle in 1943.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TDC is always canoedling about...or is that slapping for support?

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.