Friday 14 April 2017

Folkestone Creative Quarter Steep Street Coffee House watercolour

I went Folkestone today and was pretty much amazed by the pace of transformation of the old High Street into a creative quarter. This is best expressed by wanting somewhere to sketch part of it from and Steep Street Coffee House being full at about 3.30.

I hung about until I was lucky enough get a widow seat, where I sat for about an hour sketching the buildings opposite, drinking tea eating chocolate cake and wondering about how the creative innovations were panning out in the Thanet towns and if a creative quarter somewhere in Ramsgate would be viable.

Margate Old Town is another example although it hasn’t got the density of galleries, studios and working artists and Ramsgate has got a fair few galleries but they are scattered around the town.

I suppose Harbour Street in Ramsgate would be the prime candidate and I suppose given our councils it is difficult to think that this would happen.
 For the dedicated followers of my bookshop here are the latest book acquisitions http://michaelsbookshop.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/gargantua-in-bookshop.html











2 comments:

  1. I do think the old Duke of Kent pub just near you would make an ideal community project for a coffee shop / book shop. I don't know if that would be viable or possible, and in anycase the current owner may already have their own plans. I am at least aware of Ramsgate having Heritage Action Zone Status to draw in funding

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.