Friday 13 March 2009

MINI CLEAN SWEEP IN CLIFTONVILLE

Thanet district Council press release

A mini Operation Clean Sweep has been held in one road in Cliftonville, with three lorry loads of rubbish taken away.

The one day operation focused on Athelstan Road, following complaints from residents there about the amount of fly tipping and rubbish dumped along the road.

Six judicial notices were served on properties in the street, which ordered the owners to clear the rubbish. However, all the notices expired without the rubbish being cleared, so the council’s waste and recycling team cleared away the rubbish in an operation which the owners will now be charged for.

Organised by the council’s Renewal Area team, the operation also involved council officers from the parking and housing and officers from Kent Police and the UK Border Agency. Some foreign nationals were found that needed further investigation by the UK Border Agency and one case of bedbugs was discovered by the housing team.

A number of parking offences were also dealt with and the owner of one property was asked to deal with a manhole that had a missing lid.

Cllr. Zita Wiltshire, Cabinet Member for Community Services, said: “This mini Operation Clean Sweep proved to be a great success and one that got an excellent response from residents in the road. There were no objections from anyone whose properties our officers entered and all the residents they spoke to were firmly in favour of the work they were doing. It’s something we’ll be looking to continue, with more smaller, targeted Operation Clean Sweeps, alongside our main programme of work.”

4 comments:

  1. errr... do we not have road sweepers anymore? or are they only operating in the more affluent areas of our Isle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I got a road sweeper in Beacon Road and St. Peter's Wards by complaining, not to my local councillors but by going directly to the Cleansing Department. After an inspection it was agreed the situation was unacceptable and a road sweeper was put into the area five days a week. Sadly he has now moved on but, if the situation reverts to the previous one, I shall be back on the case.

    I do have to ask why I, an unelected member of the public, was able to bring about this improvement when five, yes, five, Tory councillors failed dismally to improve the area they represent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'd be happy for 1 bloke to pop past every couple of weeks, probably only take the guy an hour or so...

    ReplyDelete
  4. would this be the same 'Jenny' who is going to stand as a candidate in the KCC elections? Should she not declare that when posting??

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.