Saturday 23 May 2009

Malicious phishing emails designed to steal your credit card details

I thought I had received one of these it really has all the hallmarks the website isn’t hosted on a .gov url or the bbc one, http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/buyorrenew/index.jsp the email address is from a different domain from the website it sends you to.

Anyway it looked quite convincing and had got through my spam filter which not much does so I thought I had better check it out before reporting it to the real TV licensing authority.

Further investigation revealed that it really came from the real licensing authority with all the experts telling us never to click on a link in an unsolicited email to go to a payment site, when one gets something like this it seems as though they are going out of their way to promote fraud.

From: no-reply@tvlreminders.co.ukTo: MICHAELCHILD@AOL.COM
Sent: 22/05/2009 14:16:11 GMT Standard Time

Subj: Click on this email to renew your TV Licence

TV Licence number
********
Dear Mr Child Your TV Licence is due to expire in a week's time on 31st May. To make it as easy as possible for you to renew, this email includes a link to our website. Simply click on the link below to reach the page where you can set up a Direct Debit or pay by credit or debit card. Direct Debit is best because your licence will be automatically renewed each year, so you won't have to remember to do it yourself.It's very quick to set up a Direct Debit. Just have your TV Licence number (******) and bank details to hand.Thank you.



If you have renewed your TV Licence in the past few days, you needn't respond to this email. Yours sincerely

Carl Shimeild

Operations Director

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.