Friday 8 May 2009

THANET’S BLUE FLAG BEACHES

Thanet district Council press release

Seven of Thanet’s beaches will be flying the Blue Flag this summer, which is only given to Europe’s top coastal destinations, with four beaches achieving Quality Coast Awards.

Minnis Bay, St. Mildred’s Bay and West Bay in Westgate, Walpole Bay in Margate, Botany Bay and Joss Bay in Broadstairs and Ramsgate Main Sands have all been awarded the accolade. It only goes to those beaches which have achieved the highest quality in water, facilities, safety, environmental education and management.

Westbrook Bay, Margate Main Sands and Stone Bay have this year been awarded Quality Coast Awards, along with Viking Bay, which receives the award for the third year running.

Beaches have to reach strict criteria to achieve the Quality Coast Award, including clean sands, free of litter and dog fouling, good access with good facilities and with guideline water quality.

Director of Environmental Services, Mark Seed, said: “Once again, Thanet has achieved an enviable haul of Blue Flags and Quality Coast Awards, which we’re delighted with. Thanet has amongst the highest number of awards in the country and it sends out the clear message that we’ve got some of the country’s best beaches and is a great start to the summer season.”


Ed. Apologies here the press release came through the other day with Strictly embargoed until 00.01, Thursday 07 May 2009 and I am afraid I forgot about it.

1 comment:

  1. No mention here of Pegwell Bay, the "beach" that TDC considered turning into a naturist area a couple of years back...

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.