Saturday 7 April 2018

Is chewing gum food recycling and other unanswerable answerable questions?

You know how it is with this type of question, before the internet, I would doubt either the library or the bookshop could have come up with the answer. In the kitchen – just now, I made an executive decision without checking; so I won’t fess up in case of outrage.

Of course there are the unanswerable questions, but the internet has changed something about the nature of unanswerable questions.
 With local history, some questions are more unanswerable than others
 So how would you go about dating these two (above and below) photos.

In a general sense with people on the beach, the bathing machines phased out fairly quickly after WW1 and replaced by swimming costumes, however people wandering around on the beach in suits and skirts and dresses below the knee seems to go on until the mid 50s.

In a Ramsgate history sense the Sands Station closes in 1926, Olympia on the Pleasurama building isn't much help as it seems to be there from around 1930 to the 1960s.

The photos have to be before WW2 as the end of the Granville hasn't been destroyed by the bombing.

After 1928 though as the end of the San Clue burnt down then. After 1935 too I think as the pier has gone and you can see part of the marina swimming pool in the distance.


 How about after the 625 line TV, shared guest's lounge with black and white TV and interesting but uncomfortable chairs, family bedroom with running hot and cold water. At around this time I went on a package holiday to Spain, en suite, modern hotel, same sort of price.
St Lawrence, this one

This should be a link to yesterday's panorama 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.