Tuesday 21 August 2018

The water level in Ramsgate Harbour and the price of Coal in Margate

 I'm not sure if the harbour is leaking more than usual or needs dredging more than usual
but the weed encrusted seats, shopping trolleys and bicycles seemed fairly close to the surface this evening
 I suppose it could also be something to do with the ongoing repairs to the lock gates
 back when I worked as a sort of mechanic around the harbour the gates leaked so much that they closed them at the top of the tide
 and opened them when the tide came back in to the level the water in the inner basin had fallen to
 I imagine when they had two sets of gates it was even more of a problem
I think the Cervia
may be on the bottom and now rising out of the water this is the link to the rest of the photos from this evenings walk 

 Back in the day the main source of air pollution was coal the boat near the end of the pier is a collier and are the others below.
 it seems strange today that when I was a child we had 5 tons of coal delivered for the winter
 Note the use of "meter" and "drawback" in the poster

 The collier "Grace" pictures here at Margate in 1930 looks to be afire and attracting spectators.
This is the link to the photos of the books we put out today 
I have been working my way through the Manston Airport DCO documents and was surprised when I notified pins that the application form wouldn't open that they wrote back and said no one else had mentioned this to them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.