Thursday 23 August 2018

What's New Pussycat, old Thanet photos and a ramble

 When a photo has a title that starts "The New" it can sometimes help with the dating game in local history. The one above, which is a file I have on my computer also says 1946 in the file name. This would have been taken from the postmark when it was scanned in.
 This other one has no date but looks to be from around the same time.
 This next one is before the trams which opened in April 1901, the New Road in this case was built after 1890
 You can see the poles for the electric tram wires in this one whether the white lines on the road are the rails, not sure I think they are.
 The growth of the plants in the rockery in this one suggests. What? Yes very new.
 With the new Margate Lighthouse, built after the old one was washed away in the 1953 storm, this one is dated Feb 1955
 and this even earlier one dated Jan 1955
 This one says teh new boathouse built in 1925 and yes it does look new to me.
This one is of The New Golden Spray and there was a vessel of that name running out of Ramsgate and Margate in 1970s that later became The Queen of Kent but is it this boat?

Work wise a fair amount of books including some local history ones went out in the bookshop yesterday here is the link for the dedicated followers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.