Monday 12 August 2019

Archive pictures of Ramsgate and Margate and some rubbish issues

Not sure where this one came from, I think it's a photo of a painting rather than a photo that has been coloured. 
 This is King Street Margate during the 1953 floods.

 This the building of the new lighthouse at Margate after the old one was destroyed in the 1953 storm.
 No text for these 3 photos but I am pretty sure they are all Thanet related


 This is the opening of Margate Post Office








Living over the bookshop in King Street with the back door to our flat in Turner Street we have been putting out our rubbish and then rubbish and recycling there since moving here and opening the bookshop in 1987. 

About 4 months ago the collections started to wrong with us and the other residents getting very sporadic collections  despite lots of reporting to the council some of the recycling hasn't been take for about a month.

Now the council website has changed to rubbish only and no recycling, I'm not sure why, it could be that there is a lot of social housing, low quality private rented accomodation in a part of the town centre that is very noisy at night. 

Overall I would say it isn't a very desirable area to live in and while a lot of the social housing has been built to a very high standard hasn't been designed to cope with the antisocial behavior and noise at night. One way or another there is a very high turnover in tennents and a lot of people with social issues concentrated in a small area where a lot of people don't recycle. By the time we stopped getting regular collections we couldn't see (looking up and down the street) anything other than black sacks.  

Anyway I am not sure what's going on but it don't look good.

Work wise an exceptionally busy day here at Michael's Bookshop where I work in Ramsgate 


The very busy days don't make much impact because of size of the stock, there are about 800 shelves in the bookshop these hold averagely about 30 books so about 25,000 books. or about 30 large 7 seater estate cars absolutely full of books. I the same way buying large collections of books doesn't impact as much as you would expect. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.