Tuesday 13 August 2019

Focus on Harbour Parade Ramsgate around 200 years ago

This picture of what is now Harbour Parade in Ramsgate looks to have been painted around 1820
Many Thanks to Sally and Rob who bought it for sharing a decent sizes photo of it, click on it to expand it. 

 The domed roof far right or the picture above and far left of the picture below is The Harbour Commissioners Rooms, also marked on the map.
These two pictures are from Picturesque Views of Ramsgate by Henry Moses which was published 1817 so probably drawn in 1816.


I have marked up some of this detail from the 1822 map of Ramsgate to help unscramble what you are seeing.

Next some much more modern photos, before about 1895 and probably after 1860. 
 My guess is that this is the older of the pre 1895ish photos as it was probably The Albion Hotel before the Royal Albion Hotel

With this one you can't see the writing 

This detail from the 1872 map of Ramsgate is probably as close to you are going to get to the pre 1895ish photos as you are going to get. Note by this time The Harbour Commissioners Rooms has become Custom House, later to be built on the other side of the road in 1893/4. Deep red brick with matching terracotta details and copper dome type of thingy.

Apart from selling quite a few maps of Ramsgate to people on the same sort of quest for knowledge we have also sold a lot of local history books in the last few days Here at Michel's Bookshop where I work in Ramsgate.


As I say your best bet is a browse of the local history books here in the bookshop however for now.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.