Sunday 18 August 2019

Old local pictures, Walmer Castle, Clown computing, sorry I think it should be cloud

 Golden Spray
 New Golden Spray
Golden Spray 2
 New Golden Spray
 Jet Spray
 Grateful
 Golden Spray
 Jet Spray
 Well you get the idea, identifying local boats
 Tricky business








It was very wet this morning here in Ramsgate and as we could see the afternoon would improve from the west we got the shopping over at Westwood Cross and headed off to Walmer Castle.
 I did manage a quick watercolour sketch of Walmer Castle, took a few photos, The castle makes an easy day out from Thanet, the best bit being the grounds. The castle was built in 1540 as part of Henry VIII's defences against France and the Holy Roman Empire, the idea was to protect the English shipping sheltering in the Downs which is a major anchorage.

As the residence of The Lords Warden of the Cinque Ports from some time in the 1700s it was progressively converted into living accommodation with extensive gardens around it.

Free entry if you are a member of English Heritage (just over £100 per year), which we are, otherwise over £30 for a family visit. It costs over £50 for a family visit to Dover Castle which is also EH so in this area joining is a close run thing.

Link 1 to today's photos 

link 2 to more of today's photos

Workwise at Michael's Bookshop where I work in Ramsgate, it has been fairly busy and we needed a break so no bookbuying today.

Link to photos of the books we put out yesterday


I have been configuring both my physical and virtual workplaces with a view to being able to write more stuff. So notes mostly for me.

So one of my computing ITC posts, I don’t do these very often but I periodically encounter in life situations where the world has backfired on someone because they have let their ITC get behind so the rest of the world has passed them by.

I think the most drastic side of this is coming round in hospital and realising the little grey headphones that used to produce “The Archers” “Gardeners Question Time” etc, that were so useful while one was waiting for the fog to clear and the world to stop spinning, well they just aren’t there anymore. Likely there will be no TV you can view from your bed, it may be possible to pay for something and it may not.

The question the nurse asks is increasingly, do you want the wifi code do you want to borrow a charger. The problem with no smartphone as an answer is the time it takes to learn to use one.

I also have some stuff, mostly a bit of music and some bbc radio podcasts saved on my phone, just in case I need entertaining where I haven’t got a signal. I assume I will have the book I am reading in my pocket. I don’t much like reading books from a screen although I don’t really know why.

I think also common at the moment is my computer is/isn’t broken and I have lost all my documents/pictures/etc.

We use various cloud – computer –tablet –phone configurations across our family world of work – education – leisure, mainly Dropbox –Android and Microsoft clouds.

With this blog – writing – photography – gifs –etc I use Drive - Android cloud with an Android phone with otg support a Windows 10 computer, laptop, bridge camera and dslr. All of the photos and documents can be uploaded, edited and deleted by phone, pc or laptop.

I am assuming that most people who need this information have a cheap Android smartphone - tablet - aging Windows PC/laptop.

I also assume that most people have a Google account, probably an @gmail.com email address, if so you already have a free 15 GB of cloud storage there at https://www.google.com/drive/ Google photos is a bit different inasmuch as you can store your photos there at fairly low resolution for free or you can pay for a bit of extra space on Drive and store everything, loads of photos and docs there.

If I were to say to you that I had had an accident and lost all of the local history I have in terms of computer files, local history books, most of pictures I put on this blog, I expect you would say to me you should have a pair of back to back drives, you should have also written the files to disk stick and of course I already do this.

The main thing though is save everything important to the cloud, and probably the easiest one and the one which is free to begin with, is Google Drive.

Android Voice recognition. As it comes in inverted commas and corrected after.

“All of these things a cranky using MS word or using drive docs yeah Frankie full stop

Funnily enough Google docs won't paste reliably into Google blogger where has MS word well and of course the other aspect is voice recognition full stop

the thing with voice recognition is it sparkly the person saying it and partly the voice recognition program and I really haven’t practised enough.”

All of these things a cranky using MS word or using drive docs yeah cranky.

Funnily enough Google docs won't paste reliably into Google blogger whereas MS Word will and of course the other aspect is voice recognition.


The thing with voice recognition is it partly the person saying it and partly the voice recognition program and I really haven’t practised enough.

Anyway my take is that I need more time and the ways to make this are better work station and better use of itc.

Another article on closing and closed shops here is the link but I think the crux of the problem lies with answering the question, if you had one of the larger empty shops in Ramsgate you would probably need sell about £1,000 worth of something a day to pay the expenses of being open, the main expense being wages, what could you sell?

Of course the main issue at the moment is the boy Lucas who fell in the River Stour, there isn't really anything useful I can say, back in the day me and my siblings had various close shaves with water and we were lucky.



   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.