Wednesday 8 July 2020

A Sporting Chance, do you know anything about sport in Thanet history?

Question 1 Which Thanet team, which sport and roughly what date?

Question 2 Which Thanet team, which sport and roughly what date?

Question 3 Which Thanet team, which sport and roughly what date?

Question 4 which Thanet venue and roughly what date?

Question 5 which venue and roughly what date?

Question 6 If you have this sticker on an old toolbox, where in Thanet did you work in the 1970s?

I didn’t really engage in sport at school, particularly team sport, this is really down to having been quite badly disabled as a child. It was only later that I took up any sport at all and this was mostly roller skating. Something which I found improved my walking so much that I stopped limping. I still occasionally do a bit of roller skating and it does improve my walking. At the rink it may be difficult for teenagers of today to have an old age pensioner bearing down on them and roller skates dressed in a banana t-shirt. Further investigation in this T-shirt’s case, Velvet Underground, probably unsuitable too.

We have started preparing Michael's Bookshop (where I work in Ramsgate) so that we can open again, obviously this will be after the government lets us buy people's book collections again, as this involves visiting people's houses to look through the books the want to sell and going through the books in people's cars - it isn't very likely to be this year.

Next a few evening walk photos particularly for those who can't get out at the moment

Here is the link to them

Next the answers to the last lot of questions.
The photo enlarges reasonably well if you click on it here in blogger here is the link to the full size photo you would need to download it to your device for the best enlargement and then maybe you can spot something I missed, So Ramsgate Carnival at The Paragon roughly outside the then Van Gogh. Assuming Queen's Motel Dolphinarium Margate is where the dolphin queens come from, then it has to be between 1969 and 1977. I Know it looks earlier and by way of excuse for being there and remembering very little. Here in Ramsgate the 1960s happened fairly late, it wasn't "for instance" until about 1970 that the Red Lion had a dedicated smokers bar at the back for the wacky baccy, free love started in the UK in 1968 which was when you stopped having to show your wedding certificate to the doctor to get the pill.   

On to the mystery object, it appears the members of the local Facebook groups are not a load of old cobblers.
Sveta Kletina explains all in her video below.



While on the subject of shoes, I have extra wide EEEE feet and if you do I recommend these shoes on Ebay

Question 7 is the mystery item, something I use quite a bit when writing this blog, do you know what it is?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.