Friday 31 July 2020

mystery photos, Granville Tower 60s photos, answers

 1 Which Thanet church

 2 Where in Thanet

 3 where in Thanet

 4 this map is doing the Thanet Facebook rounds at the moment but what does it show?

Ramsgate today so about averagely busy for the time of year, so what are the changes from the good old days? Not much really, in the 60s it was a bit rougher and raunchier. The main seafront bar then was The Long Bar, which when I did bar work - after work and school holidays in the late 60s and early 70s had a stripper who changed every half an hour. Now the main seafront bar is Wetherspoons which is mostly families. The Pav itself was much more active in the evenings, live band or organist and a lot more civilised. The sands too, a lot less sunbathers and a lot more family groups, but yes very much the same, I think Ramsgate's main issue from about 65 was that a package holiday in Spain was much cheaper and better value. Even now the minimum wage in Spain is about two thirds of what it is in the UK and very few in the hospitality business get what we would call a living wage. From 65 on the net result of all this was our tourists were what were left over, mainly unable to get themselves organised enough. I ran our guesthouse in Augusta Road for a couple of summer seasons, 40 people crammed into family rooms with a sink, 2 toilets without washbasins in the whole building and no access to a bath.

Yesterday's answer, the photo was take in the 1960s from Granville Tower and came from David Fagg, so many thanks to him and here are the rest of them too.






If you are having difficulties lining things up

here is a link to some I took from up there more recently

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.