Saturday 18 July 2020

four mystery photos, yesterday's answers and the same old.

 Q1 which Thanet building

 Q2 which Thanet construction project

 Q3 which Thanet shop in 2010

Q4 which Thanet school

yesterday's answers

 Albion Gardens

 The photo of Standen I had always taken to be King St Ramsgate junction of Plains of Waterloo but looking at the photo below and knowing that Standen's moved about a bit I am not so sure.

The normally accepted story about Wyatt's Lighthouse, shown in the picture, is that it was put too near the end of the West Pier. If you ever sailed into Ramsgate Harbour you will know that you have to hug the West Pier to avoid going aground. This meant that Wyatt's Lighthouse had a tendency to knock the yardarms off of the ships. The replacement, the one we still have now, Shaw's Lighthouse was built further away from the end of the pier.

Comment here from Michael Cates. Quite so about the lighthouse. I believe some local 'historians' refer to a previous wooden lighthouse, but Wyatt's Light, which was the predecessor to Shaw's, was very definitely stone. Shaw's Light was built in 1842/43 There may well have been a temporary structure or mast on which leading lights could be hung before Wyatt's Lighthouse was first lit in 1795. The local story

This is The Royal Victoria Pavilion in Ramsgate aka Spoons.

Next a few old local photos that I first published online over 10 years ago, how time flies.



and then a few Margate ones from Mick Twyman's collection to balance up rather a lot of Ramsgate




evening walk in Ramsgate tonight
the main improvement being a bit more space to help with social distancing by putting barriers across some of the parking spaces.

 Horses going past the pavilion made a change

you can see how far the lighthouse is set back from the end of the pier, much safer for a tall ship.

link to the rest of the photos I took this evening

The main sands evening situation is much better with Wetherspoons open again but the social distancing isn't very good, too many people having a good time.

Just what the answer is I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.