Wednesday 31 August 2022

Pictures of Thanet in the 1960s Saturday's answers

These should expand well with a bit of clicking, I can't make a proper quiz about the dates as I don't know the answers myself, but please, if you spot anything to narrow down the dates, please put it in your Facebook comments. 

I think these two are Ramsgate Harbour in the late 1960s, could be a bit earlier, when did the demolition around The Admiral Napier happen?
I bought the two Ramsgate ones over the weekend and have added some Margate and Broadstairs ones from my collection.

My mother moved to Ramsgate in the mid 1960s and for most of the late 60s I was a teenager away at boarding school doing different holiday jobs in Thanet.

Do I remember much about Thanet in the 1960s? I can do certain amount looking a the cars, e.g. the distinctive rear lights of the Mk1 Cortina to the left of the photo above says after 1962, the befores are very difficult, when did the big roundabout around the clock tower go?    
Probably the old 1960s problem. "I was there so I can't remember." Combined with the 60s being over 50 years ago.

Broadstairs doesn't change much at all.

Saturday's answers, the pictures showing the pub signs say it all really.




Including a Royal Oak bonus picture


Today and here at Michael's Bookshop where I work in Ramsgate, we had our firs quiet morning this August, much busier this afternoon. I do wonder about the Ramsgate town shopping, obviously most of the shops have closed and yet we seem to be pretty busy. 

I have spent most of my work time during August taking books off of the shelves and making sure they are cheaper than the  same books on the internet. It's a huge and ongoing task as there are nearly a thousand shelves in the bookshop and I only get 2 or 3 done a day.

Here is the link to the photos of the books we put out today
 

The are some out of print East Kent ones.
 

3 comments:

  1. The two photos of the harbour are definitely pretty 1968,when I started work on the harbour the pontoons were in place and there was a grain elevator on military road,great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really couldn't remember when when the pontoons went in. But I think the grain elevator it was a bit further up wasn't it. Other side of the slipway but I'm not sure

      Delete
  2. Michael, your question related to the Margate Clocktower junction and when did the roundabout move? During May 1980 the new mini-roundabout was built adjacent to the clocktower and the pavement was then extended to encompass the clocktower. It was open by Whitsun 1980.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.