Monday 8 August 2022

Three Thanet Photos to answer questions about, the answer to Saturday's question, ramble from the bookshop.

1 when do you reckon this photo was taken?


2 When did it burn down and what is it called and what's happened to it now?


3 Where in Thanet was this photo taken?

This is the link to pictures of the books we priced in the bookshop today

When it comes to the good old days I have very mixed feelings. I have, for instance, reservations about reintroducing the exotic dancers (strippers) in our Thanet's main seaside bars. These were the norm rather than the exception in the 1960s and 1970s.  However just at the moment, working away here in Michael's Bookshop in Ramsgate, one of my jobs today is to attach little labels to edges of the wooden shelves (don't even mention chipboard bookshop shop fittings that bend or the metal ones that cut into the books). Sorry where was I, yes drawing pins. I have one box which says "1 gross of drawing pins 3/6" and another which says drawing pins 99p on it. Pins from the older box work reasonably well, however the ones I bought recently bend when you try to push them into wood.  Sorry I digress again,

We spent Sunday expanding the crime fiction section in the bookshop and purring up some headers. We are just too busy, too many customers to do this type of thing with the shop open.

This is all to do with the price of pulp fiction 


yesterday's Answer 



Both of these pictures show fire officers from the same Thanet fire brigade, but which one? As you see above on the picture Margate. What sparked this question off was a comment on an old blog post identifying one of the fireman in the picture below here is the link to it

This one shows the fire station building too which may help.

next a few old Margate fire photos, click to expand





















Margate fire station V Margate police 












Finally a couple of sketches in my sketchbook in the bookshop today


I have been trying some different portrait styles recently which can see on my Facebook page

Here is the link

With the bookshop open and me pretending to work as a shop assistant I have much more time for blogging

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.