Friday 19 August 2022

Which Thanet Pub? The answers to Wednesday's questions and a Ramble from Michael's Bookshop

o
This is the old building, the pub was demolished and rebuilt sometime around 1900.

We were out and about buying books yesterday, lunch in Canterbury 

which usually produces and interesting picture.

I have been at work here at Michael's Bookshop in Ramsgate, pricing Kent local history books today 

Thinking of inflation in the news, as far as I can see reasonably desirable secondhand and antiquarian books priced between about £3 and about £70 published between about 1800 and 2015. which is what these ones in the photo are. I can't see that prices have changed much in the last 5 years. some titles have gone up a bit and some down a bit, but nothing significant.

Here is the link to the pictures of the books we put out in the bookshop today

Question 1 What was the purpose built Victorian Tudor building in the foreground and what is marching past it. Answer Gwyn & Co wine merchants premises of around 1898, designed by W J Jennings of Canterbury, in a Victorian Tudor-style, now Miles & Barr Estate Agents 51 Queen StreetRamsgate, CT11 9EJ. Ramsgate Boys Brigade marching past.


Question 2 Where was Kandy's in Thanet, I don't know the answer to this one but feel I should. Answer Now Panda Chinese takeaway 172 Canterbury Rd, Westbrook, Margate CT9 5JW The barn relates to Garlinge Farm no. 2 is Kandy's Tea Room on Canterbury Road opposite The Hussar. T. Wing builders in the old barn that was part of Garlinge Farm.

Question 3 which Ramsgate Tug as Ramsgate had 3 tugs of this name a rough date or number . Answer, this is the first  Ramsgate tug called "Aid" served Ramsgate 1865-1891



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.