Saturday 2 September 2017

Painting in the cathedral, some out and about Ramsgate photos and the inevitable ramble.


 I bunked off to Canterbury today where the new McDonald's was in full swing, 'friad I avoided it, however I expect it is better as it was packed.
 Chocolate Cafe for me where I tried to do something about the reflections in the shop window in the watercolour from there
 the fundamental mistake I made was not having the bottom of the windows in the painting
 never mind all these things are part of the learning curve
 The other painting is St Anselm's Chapel in Canterbury Cathedral with St Paul and the viper, anyway I think it was St Paul shipwrecked there, lots of dappled sunlight
 All rather difficult

This is as far as I got 

 I would have tried The Lady Chapel as it is much more uncertain, but being on the north side it's too dark as well.

looking north you get optical illusions like this, the stained glass windows at the top are on the north side while those at the bottom are on the south side.

I took the bus to Canterbury today as I wasn't going book buying and as it takes 50 mins from Ramsgate Harbour to the middle of Canterbury it's probably quicker than going by car or train if you take into account walking to and from stations or car parks.

Back in Ramsgate this evening all of the pubs and cafes seemed to be busy here is the link to the out and about snapshots there is a lot of harbour activity with the cable laying and windfarm boats. I can see that I would need a much better camera to get good shots of the vessels at sea.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.