Saturday 30 September 2017

Harbour Street Ramsgate in 1971 and Canterbury Bookshop, painting and businesses.


Harbour Street and Harbour Parade 1971, which at some times have been the same street 
I don't think anything really beats the paper directories and walking the streets of Ramsgate with one in hand, so here is the link to buy it online. You can of course come into the the bookshop here in Ramsgate and have a good old browse inside all of the directories buying any that take your fancy.

If you go back to the 1800s then Harbour Street stretched all the way to Wetherspoons and there were buildings on Pier Yard car park making it double sided,
mind you if you go even further back Harbour Parade was called The Waterfront and all the way back to the early 1700s we had The East End and The Corner or Charge.

 As you know I am a bit fixated on the arts, literature and history, I can’t help this so if you read this blog that’s wot U get.

I have various watercolour paintings on the go in Canterbury at the moment.

This Watercolour of Canterbury Cathedral from Chocolate Cafe which is nearly finished. I had a bit of an experiment with the brown sign with white writing on it (bottom right). Normally I don't draw first with a pencil, wouldn't even know where to begin with masking fluid, so I tried writing the lettering in pencil, paintin around it with brown paint and rubbin out the pencil. I have had problems with the reflections in the windows of the building in front of the cathedral. as you can see on the left my sketchbook is starting to fall apart. The gold on the signs which looks like gold on the painting is Schmincke gold watercolour paint, you just slap it on and paint around it, so I can recommend this to anyone who hasn't tried it.  
I did a bit more on the St Anselm's Chapel one, trying to get the arches on the left side of the painting to vanish into the distance, but it's a bit of a spot the difference as I got sent down in the crypt because of evensong.
The trouble with the crypt is you can either see the alter or the paper, so while you can just about see the shapes of what you are putting on the paper, you can't really tell what colour paint you have mixed up.

 Two Canterbury businesses closing down today, La Trappiste, which is another branch of Ramsgate's Belgian Cafe
 and Kennedy's Shoe Shop

I did visit Canterbury Christ Church University Bookshop today, I was particular about going on Saturday morning when it is very quiet so I could photograph it without there being loads of people in it. This is one of my favourite new independent bookshops and may well be the last substantial independent bookshop in east Kent, it isn't very easy to find.

It's on the other side of the road opposite the cathedral's back passage
 Past the Queen of Kent





 The king of the English

 not the main gate
 through this hole in the wall


follow the Laud signs and it's just inside the Laud door, makes me think of Laud won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz 
 A very good general bookshop with a good children's and history section, the star turn is modern literary fiction.










pictures will probably get bigger if you click on them compulsively 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.