Tuesday 15 October 2019

Photos of people on the sands and thank you Thanet District Council.+ a Pleasurama sandwich question reanswered

Do you notice anything strange in the photo below?
All I can say is. "Thank you Thanet District Council." When I first rented the building above in 1987 and opened the bookshop, this part of King Street in Ramsgate was a reasonable secondary shopping area on a busy road. Despite there being perhaps 100 time the amount of traffic because all of the town centre through traffic went along King Street had Queen Street before pedestrianisation, there was a lot of on free on street parking. But it's not that, it all went to the double yellow peril years ago. The other thing was had was rubbish bins and they were all removed years ago, but yesterday two council workers turned up with a bin which they bolted to the pavement outside.

There is already a marked improvement, people tend to gather outside Costcutter and before there was nowhere for them to put their rubbish. Once again, thank you TDC. We are in the middle of one of the most deprived wards in the UK, we don't expect much and don't get much, badly uneven pavements, blocked drains, missing street lights and bad design are the norm not the exception.
The archive photos today are of people on the beach in Ramsgate Margate and Broadstairs.









These 2 photos are for a council officer I was talking to the other day who said he didn't believe me when I explained the Pleasurama henge foundations don't extend down to the chalk bedrock, but just sit on the sand which used to be the beach.

The photos speak for themselves really.
A busy day where work in Ramsgate at Michael's Bookshop, butter side down on my DIY draught excluder, buy some more and put it on again, sums up today's activities.

pictures of the books we put out today 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.