Saturday 12 October 2019

Margate caves then onto McDonald's and E Turner Tea + Ramsgate Tunnels 2010

We visited Margate caves today, I have often speculated as to what they were originally for. My guess would be part of some sort of 18th century industrial operation they are very close to the site that Turner the famous artist painted a picture of what appears to me to be Tinning Works.

With chalk the main candidates in the mid 1700s would be glassworks or paperworks and i would guess with sand available nearby, most likely a glassworks.

Perhaps the Flaig Glassworks started there did Margate ever have a "glass cone"? one to look out for in old pictures perhaps.

the deep brackish were probably it's always been to near the sea freshwater and as part of such an early sight seems a bit of an unlikely one and I don't think anyone lived in that part in Margate that time full stop my guess would be some operation that required a lot of lime because it may have been cut out tourist attraction hard to say which York.

Link to the rest of the Margate Caves Photos




So Thursday in Margate We bought some books for the bookshop and and had another look at the situation in the High Street which seems to be improving a lot.

You know they say England is tea drinking country but honestly we reaching a point where while you can get masses of different and exotic coffees to get a known make of tea you have to go to McDonald's this was something I couldn't achieve in turner contemporary.

So down to Margate Mcdonald's for named Tea
Or is it up
Actually drinkable, I am also considering food options to help mitigate climate change so less cow.




More of the Margate photos from McDonald's to Turner Contemporary

And of course the new Turner Score Note


There seemed to be a striking resemblance

to the watercolour sketch I did for blog post in 2011

I managed to interact with an exhibit called Welcome Chous


onwards

Bookshop wise we have been fairly busy, part of the reason that I haven't posted a blog since the middle of the week

links to the books we put out on:-
Wednesday 

frIday
satErday

Of course we now have a new Thanet Council leader and administration, I would say mostly because the council manage to forget Ramsgate. Partly though because the councilors seem to be focussed on bringing back 1970. While this may appeal to some of the older voters...

Back underground but in Ramsgate Tunnels in 1910, click to expand






















 This last image relates to one of the comments

9 comments:

  1. What was the thought about Flaig's glass works? (AKA Exelo) They had one in Ramsgate then at Westwood (Poor Hole Lane) but I don't recall it ever being in Margate? Works and offices in London too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it's just speculation and the only local glassworks I could think of. I am really just speculating about what caused the caves to be dug, they don't look like any of the other agricultural ones locally, the marks on the chalk suggest mot of the caves were dug out in one go, which isn't consistent with using the chalk more with making the caves. Too far from the harbour for ice storage and that early the Thames was still clean enough to take fish up to billinsgate with a hull tank.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Actually drinkable, I am also considering food options to help mitigate climate change so less cow." Well that's it, Michael. I'll let Greta know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John I have been making various concessions to climate change since long before Greta came on the scene. The worst concession my was selling my 5.7 litre limousine. Are you a climate change denier?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael, You ask me if I'm a "denier". Please do not attempt to brand me a heritic in your faux religious cult. Of course the climate is changing. Change is the natural state of the Earth. Ice ages come and go. Our orbit around the sun and our axis varies. We need the technology, that is so depised by XR, to prepare and mitigate for any change that demonstrates a threat to life.

    I have read the science in detail and will continue to do so. Michael, at the risk of being frank, I place your choice of burger neither hear nor there. But if it makes you feel good, self satisfied even, then tuck in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At the moment John I have to say that I have climate change on the back burner and particulate pollution as my main concern related to burning fossil fuels. However the consensus of scientific opinion is that global warming is the direct result of man's activities producing too much carbon dioxide, my solution to this would be mostly genetically modified plat life grown in the sea adjacent to desert regions and using the sun to turn this into methanol which would then be transported using our exiting infrastructure. Scientific consensus is open to argument however I would be cautious of argument based on a significant change in planetary orbits, this is astrology and was a science in Elizabethan times

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michael, You have refused to publish my reply to your comment 13 October 1:22pm

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jonny may have put it in at your end but no commentsl appeared at this end I'm sorry about that the only thing you can do is to leave it again

    ReplyDelete
  9. Should read; John you may have.. Just had a chance to check through and your comment definitely didn't arrive here

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.