Saturday 26 October 2019

You don't always want to bring back the good old days, do you? Buy it now - Get it later books.




The photos were taken in the crypt under St George' Church Ramsgate the links below take you to more picture of inside the crypt

link1 link2

Infant mortality and life expectancy are a very good reason for being glad to live now


I had a disabled childhood which started by being diagnosed as having osteomyelitis at 10 days old, so but for the invention of penicillin during WW2 wouldn't have survived. All in all it was a bit of close shave as I was the youngest person they tried it on at the time. 










Here in the book business (Ibid/sic don't know safest with passim. Cider House Rules by John Irving) my main competitor is Amazon so the BBC news article saying their profits had fallen interested me.

Here at Michael's bookshop in Ramsgate we do have some advantages over Amazon.

I think the main advantage is that making a profit doesn't interest us very much, we try to make a reasonable proportion of what it costs us to live. Another advantage we have is we can see Amazon's book stock but Amazon can't see ours, or at least they wouldn't bother to use our website.

From the bookshop customers point of view though, I think in most cases it's the, actual and instantaneous, that wins the day here. Being able to browse the books, handle the books and then buy books and take them home. Having in some cases looked them up on Amazon with their smartphone to make sure they are getting value.

Link to photos of the books we put out today

 On to Margate




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.