Saturday 21 December 2019

2 Mystery photos, the answers to yesterday's mysteries - perhaps, some Thanet bathers from around WW1

 Do you know where this id and what's going on?

 Do you know where this is and what's going on?


 A couple of photos of Thanet bathers in the 1920s just after WW1

Then four more from just before WW1



Link to the high definition versions of the photos of the Thanet bathers around WW1

Here at Michael's Bookshop where I work in Ramsgate my wife and I mostly skived off to get rooms ready for Christmas visitors leaving the people who work in the bookshop on Saturdays to to run the shop.

The net result being that I have no idea about the day at all.

here is the link to the books that went out on the shelves 

the fundamental rule of thumb in the bookshop is look the book up online as though you were trying to buy it, price the book that is going out on the shelves significantly cheaper so it will sell. The most expensive mistake is making a book too expensive, it takes me months to track them down on the shelves an reduce the prices so they sell.

yesterday's answers I hope

 1 2 and 3 are Dumpton Dog Track, these are all from the booklet we publish "Pictorial Amusement Guide To Margate" Which only goes to show that if you are looking for pictures of one of Ramsgate's main attractions, looking in a Margate guide may be pretty much the only place you will find them.
link to the guide's buy it now wosisname although coming to Michael's Bookshop here in Ramsgate may be best than risking £2.99, if you don't like it you could always use it as a Christmas card.
 2
 3
 This is Ramsgate town hall, apparently decorated for Queen Victoria's coronation, however I am not so sure the caption was right about the occasion.
 This is the greengrocer on the front of the chapel in Albion Street Broadstairs, the photo is dated 1923 so you could probably work out who's who, which was later incorporated into Albion Bookshop and is now part of The Chapel Bar
 This is St Lawrence Station
 This is the Bell Inn in Minster
This is the very big - big wheel at dreamland which was there in the 1970s and 80s and one of the main attractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.