Friday 20 December 2019

another mystery photo blog post


 Do you recognise this once famous Thanet tourist attraction? Questions 1 
 2
 and 3 are all of the same place
 Question 4 what, where was this Thanet building and what national occasion was it decorated for
 Do you recognise this Thanet shop? for Question 5
 Question 6 is a Thanet Station
 7 a Thanet pub
 and question 8 a famous Thanet ride

the answers to Wednesday's mystery photos
 So the things in the Harbour are mooring pens, for HMS Fervent. In October 1939, the Royal Navy established a Coastal Forces base at Ramsgate called HMS Fervent, which operated Motor Torpedo Boats, Motor Gun Boats and Motor Launches the two slipways, now disused with the winding house demolished were to maintain these vessels.




 'Quelch's Garage Margate 1920s
lifeboat is The Lord Southborough
Clifton Gardens

On to my day, well the last thing I did was eating and painting at The Royal Victoria Pavilion here in Ramsgate
strange how the building retains something of the atmosphere it had when I first went there in the 1960s
I did a little bit more to my watercolour sketch there

 Ramsgate Harbour is looking very festive with the Christmas lights on the boats.

workwise here at Michael's Bookshop I did my best to connect the people with the books

photos of the books we put out today

1 comment:

  1. Is 1 to 3 the greyhound racing track formerly near Dumpton Park? 4 has got to be the former Ramsgate town hall. Is it decorated for Victoria's golden jubilee?

    By law of averages, I've got to get one of these local knowledge questions right eventually!

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.